Re: Stargrass

> I got some stargrass for the first time a few months ago. Maybe at the AGA
> convention (from Arthur?). Anyway, it had taken hold in my 125 gal tank
> despite the Montezuma swordtails who seem to like to nibble on them. It
> developed into a nice bush, with the stems tending to grow vertically
> towards the surface. I have a nice picture of it next to some Eichhornia
> diversifolia which at first glance looks very similar (at the time the
> Eichornia was not showing any blacking).

Now it(E.d) does, doesn't it?

>  When I set up a new 50gal tank a
> few weeks ago, I moved some of the stargrass to the new setting.
>
> Not having paid attention to previous discussions about this plant, I was
> quite surprised that it did not want to grow vertically in the new tank.
> Instead, it has been growing horizontally.....without any encouragement
> thru trimming....and it is  rapidly encroaching on my Eleocharis sp. and
> Echinodorus quadricostatus. The nerve!  The new tank has a bit more light,
> but is not significantly brighter.
>
> What can other people say about the tendancies of this weed.

It is a "weed", nice flower, mine has always "bushed" or gone for the
surface rapidly requiring lots of pruning. Blackens when not happy like E.d
but is much stronger a competitor than E.d.

I think the roots may be giving off the allelopathic chemicals from the
stargrass. Be interesting to cut them off and removed as they form and see
if the response is still present. Lot of work though:) I have trouble
trimming it let alone picking each root off.

I have recently received some stargrass but I have no Eich. diversifolia
left these days. Got any to spare I think I have a few plants your after if
your want to trade for it:) Then I can try off my allelopathic idea again.
Regards,
Tom Barr