Very small wet/dry filters

Something I was thinking about while dealing with my hazy water
situation was a very small wet/dry filter.

I was thinking of a 2 litre sump and a rio mini 90 submersible pump. A
small bio-ball tower made out of a 1 litre pop bottle.  The drip tray
would be replaced with one of those "gentle rain" watering can heads.

The "bio-balls" might need to be replace with something else (open cell
foam?) to get the surface area required.

Think it might work? Any one else build a small wet/dry before?

---
Glenn Attwood in Toronto with the warmest winter in 50+ years