Frozen brine shrimp and nitrites

I bought 20 cardinal tetras the other day and lost most of them before 24
hours had elapsed. Since my Red Sea test kit reagents were no good, I took
a sample to the LFS and they found very high nitrites. This really
surprised me, since the tank is 75 gallons, heavily planted, with a Fluval
304 canister filled with 4 of the foam blocks. I believed I had a large
biological filter.

I have not noticed any expired fish or snails, although most of my fish are
small tetras and cardinals, and I don't always notice a carcass until is
has been reduced to bones. I did experience a rather nasty algae outbreak a
week or so ago. I guess this should have been a warning sign.

I feed frozen brine shrimp 3 or 4 times a week directly into the tank.
Would this cause the nitrite level to rise? Should I thaw the shrimp in a
small container of water and strain off the resulting liquid before
feeding?

Douglas Guynn
	dguynn at nwol_net
	915.368.5411

Veritas Vos Liberabit
The Federalist
It's Right! It's Free by e-mail!
http://www.federalist.com/subscribe.asp

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We
ask not your counsels or arms [and] may posterity forget that ye were our
countrymen." --Samuel Adams

It is not a stunned silence that the world hears.  It is the quiet
meditation of a warrior.