T-8 vs T-12

Well being Canadian, AH supply CFs look great but the exchange rate and
shipping are killers . I however had a stroke of  luck has allowed me to get
T-8(5000K) at $3Cdn each (wholesale) and a couple of free ballasts. $72 for
24 bulbs, before I was paying $10-$20 per T-12 and changing them every
6months.

Question: I was running 6 T-12 @40W(full specturm) should I replace with 6
T-8 @32W or should I use 8 bulbs?  The T-8s appear much brighter than the
T-12s.

Any good sources for reflectors for T-8 or DIYs, I am currently using
tinfoil to line my light box.
These bulbs are staggered over a 5ft tank so the ends of the tank receive
less light.(that's where the Java Fern and other lower light plants go)

Thanks,

Bill Lynn
wlynn at telus_net