No Subject

Art wrote about CO2 Test Kits:
---
So I have 3 possibilities that I can think of:
A:- My test kit is defective
B:- My CO2 concentration is extremely high (over 80
PPM)
C:- I dont' know what the hell I am doing.
The plants that I have in the tank were not showing
any sign of growth for the first 2 weeks I had them,
in the almost 4 days since CO2 started, they are
showing new growth in the form of new leaves and
shoots coming out at various spots. So the question
is: Is my CO2 really that high? I would have thought
that such a high concetration would kill my fish, but
they seem very happy, no deaths, no stress that I can
see.(4 Guppies, holding there until tank cycles). I
called Big Al's from whom I bougth the test kit
(Plant Care Mini-Lab Test Kit from Red Sea) and they
were very ---helpful.

----
IME, the Red Sea kits are pretty useless.  I have
this same kit and was never really able to figure out
my CO2 from it.  I bought a LaMotte, which is much
better. (I think I would have been better off buying
a pH meter from the begining and using that and my
cheap Aq. Pharm hardness kit to determine CO2 from
the table)

My advice is to ignore the Red Sea kit and obtain a
reasonable KH (carbonate hardness) test kit and a
good pH test kit.  Then use the CO2 vs. KH / pH table
at http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-booth-faq.html
or elsewhere on the net.  Also, I was never
able to obtain results from the Red Sea Fe test kit
that comes with the "Plant Care" set... I am happy
with the SeaChem one I bought to replace it. YMMV etc.

Hope this helps!
-Tony in Philly, where it is almost _70_ F_ !!!!!