RE: Please help with "hazy" water

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:46:26 -0800
> From: Michael Rubin

> Ed Dumas wrote:

>> I, too, use a DIY CO2 system (in fact two of them
>> in a 110 gallon tank).  Every once in a while my
>> tank does go hazy as well, but it seems to soon
>> "grow out of it". My tank mostly does this when
>> I add nutrients, or adjust the water in some way.

> This has happened to me when my yeast brew inadvertanly
> back-siphons into the tank.  If enough of the mixture
> enters the water column, all hell can break loose.
>  Nowadays whenever I see a grey haze in any of my
> tanks with DIY CO2 I change water like crazy for a few
> days.

The two most commonly-reported aggravations stemming from yeast generators
can be eliminated very easily with the use of an extra bottle of water.
Simply use it as an in-line water filter, bubbling the CO2 through an air
stone at the bottom of the bottle and bleeding the filtered gas off the top.

All of the nutrients, volatiles and aromatics along for the ride with the
vapors get trapped in the water filter rather than your tank. No more
cloudiness, no more white "slime" at the tank's output.

Amazingly enough, in a bottle of clean water the "slime" doesn't seem to
gain a foothold on the air stone the way it does in a fertile aquarium...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com