Re: Diatom Filters

The Vortex Diatom filter I purchased approximately 1.5 years ago was most
definitely _not_ a wonderful piece of equipment. The main plastic housing
broke off at the outlet connection rendering the unit useless. Replacement
cost were almost as much as the total cost. I did not abuse the unit and
used it only occasionally. The design is poor, the warrantee (6mo) is
laughable, and as has been mentioned, the instructions are very poor.

I have since purchased a system one diatom filter and I am delighted.
Diatoms do not make it out of the unit at all. NO special containers are
needed, no outlet valves, etc., etc. In fact, all of the things that caused
me to grumble about the vortex are gone. No tubes, no tearable bag, no
special charge procedure, no special reverse charge procedure.

Having said that, I should mention that I owned a Vortex Diatom Filter
approximately 20 years ago, and it was a reliable, well made unit. It's just
the newer, cheaper plastic units that my complaint is about.

My advice for those who are contemplating the purchase of a diatom filter:
get a System One, forget the Vortex. They are a breeze to clean, maintain,
and use. And yes, they are more expensive :-(
--
Augustine Rodriguez
Rice Lake, WI USA