lighting advice for 29 gallon tank

Hi. I'm setting up an aquarium for my girlfriend who has never kept fish
or aquatic plants. It'll be a 29 gallon and I'm going to order the
lighting from Aquarium Hobbyist Supply. My question is how much lighting
do I need. I'll set up DIY CO2 and use some sort of fertilizer. Should
one 55w be enough or will I be wishing I had gotten the 2 x 55w. It
doesn't neccessarily need to produce explosive growth, but should be
enough to grow most varieties of plants. Also, what site would you
recommend that I order plants from? trueaquariumplants.com?
azgardens.com? any others?

Erik