dead shrimps and pesticide residue

I just read an interesting article about aquatic plant farms and growing
methods in Singapore and noticed a tidbit of info that may relate to the
thread on dying shrimps a while back. Although the article was written in
1972, the same methods may still be used there:

Diazinon or malathion was sprayed on the plants regularly to keep moths and
beetles off the emersed plants. I will check to see if the same practice is
currently used in the USA. Either way, it is probably a good idea to give
new plants a good soaking (not just a rinse) before they are introduced
into our tanks. This may be more important on the imports which are the
mainstays of many internet plant sellers.

Neil