Re: Hairgrass

John,
In my area there are two types of hairgrass available, labeled Dwarf
Hairgrass, or Eleocharis acicularis, as you mention in your post. This type
usually stays below three inches in height. The foot tall type you mention is
probably Eleocharis montevidensis, or Giant Hairgrass.

I have had both types with sucessful growth. My tanks are high light, CO2
injected, with TMG double dosed. Dwarf hairgrass grows for me, but after a
while it becomes a crap trap, so I don't keep it. I may be too lazy to keep
up with it's care requirements. E. montevidensis, on the other hand, is a
breeze to keep. It propogates by runners, and can be invasive with other
plants, but it is easy to control as it has a shallow root system, so it
usually pulls up without taking whatever it is growing in with it.  It grows
fairly slowly, so thinning is only needed every few weeks.
Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---