green water

I hate green water.  I have found it to be persistent and frustrating; maybe there is a better solution, but here is what I have done to get rid of it.
Water changes alone will not do it.  GW loves water changes; more room to multiply, which the cells do in record time.  Darkening the tank is a temporary fix and they will be baaack a few days later.  I never figured a way to tweak the nutrients to get rid of GW; maybe Neil and Tom Barr have succeeded this way?
So, what to do?
I have had success with aggressive use of a diatom filter, as many of you have.  Daily use of the diatom (System 1 in my case) filter and good tank hygeine seem to do the trick.  It can take a week or so, but it will finally work.
Roxanne Bittman