bluegreen algae

OK, I'll try this one.  Bluegreens seem to come in when the tank is nitrogen limited.  However, just adding KNO3 may not get rid of it once it's established, so people generally darken the tank (or pull plants as Tom Barr suggested and put them in a dark bucket) for 4 days which kills the algae but not the higher plants (not that BGs are a plant at all).  A combination of darkening the tank, water changes larger than usual, and N testing with proper additions of KNO3 (maybe to levels slightly higher than normal, like 10-20ppm) should get rid of it for good.  It's worked for me.
Roxanne Bittman