RE: Aquanetics 8 watt UV issue

Cavan wrote:
-------
I've had an inline Aquanetics 8 watt UV sterilizer
hooked up for two days now. No effect on the slime
algae. Almost like it wasn't even plugged in. I
fiddled around with the plug and an orange light
inside the end cap where the plug goes in flickered
on and off. I could not get it to stay on. The manual
mentions a viewport on the endcap that glows a bluish
color. It says that with the model I have (either the
Q8IL or PQ8IL), "you can see blue light reflecting
off the vinyl tubing connected to the inlet and
outlet of the UV." I could see blue light there when
I first plugged it in. What is this orange light? A
pilot light? Why is it not mentioned? I could hear a
"tink" sound when the orange light went on and off as
I wiggled the plug around. Is it even operational?

Thanks, Cavan
----

I have the PQ8IL, but don't recall seeing an orange
light (haven't used it in months).  Also, I used
black tubing, because the LFS was out of clear, so I
couldn't see the light either... So, I am not
endorsing this, but what I did was open one of the
ends (not the one the wire goes into) while the unit
is ON.  With the end-cap off, it is easy to see the
blue light... Obviously, this is not particularly
safe, and I wouldn't recommend _staring_ at the
light, but a few seconds wont kill (or blind) you.

So, that is the way I can tell mine is on.

Again, I am merely relating _a_ method_, not
necessarily the BEST or SAFEST method. YMMV.

-Tony