Re: Carbo Plus. Don't waste your money

I can second this opinion of the Carbo Plus.  I also have been running one
in a 75g plant tank, although with a higher kH (6 to 7).  The results have
been poor, and the unit has been unable to keep the pH anywhere close to 7.

They recommend a "break-in" for the electrodes in a separate small tank,
before using the unit in the main tank.  This must be so that the purchaser
can convince his/herself that it works, as it has no trouble taking a 2
gallon tank down to a pH of 5 to 6 with low kH clean water.  But, in
retrospect, I could probably do that by exhaling through a tube into a 2
gallon tank for 1 or 2 days!

I replaced it with a real gas CO2 system about one month ago, with the
(dwee...) expected positive results.

Amazing how we all fall for the "German engineered" line.  I even work with
German suppliers professionally (for hydraulics, other high pressure
systems, specialty insulation systems, and other technical stuff) and know
that "German quality" is mostly a myth (vis-a-vis American).  But even then
I fell for the Carbo Plus story, and just assumed that they would not sell
something so deficient in performance.

Some here (on the list) have written about the suspect chemistry of the
Carbo Plus, and I feel embarrassed at not having thought the chemistry
through more completely before buying, after reading these notes.

Dave Johnson