Green hair algae out of control!!! (Evil stuff)

Hi,

Long time subscriber first time contributor.

It has probably been beaten to death but what is the
number one cause/ best solution to this kind of algae.

!

???????

!

thin dark green hairs form a web around my baby tears,
cling to my rotala...

The more I pull it the worse it gets.

I got flag fish
I got new bulbs
I cut back on fertilizer
I bought amano shrimp (that got eaten by discus as
soon as I put them in)
My SAEs wont touch it

Flag fish pick at it like pasta but 6 in a 90 gallon
doesnt seem to be enough.  Plus my tank is crowded
with all kinds of fish.

Rather than have fish that eat it I would rather get
RID of it entirely!

I know it has a life cycle casue I see "older" alae
agound the roots of my plants,  much darker and more
brittle.

I have a 404 fluval running at half steam and a
emeperor clipon good for a 30 gallon tank.  Very
little water movement, do I need more circulation?

Iron might be leecheing into the water, but isnt that
why we put flourite in in the first place, esp since
there are those among us who just use flourite with no
top layer of quartz?

Please help folks!

Sean

--- Aquatic Plants Digest
<Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com> wrote:

> Aquatic Plants Digest    Tuesday, January 22 2002
> Volume 04 : Number 1556
>

> In this issue:
>
> 	Re: Chain sword leaf form
> 	Re: tennellus
> 	Re:high NO3's
> 	Re: Subject: Glass Scratches
> 	Re: Glass Scratches
> 	Seachem Acid buffer
> 	Re: AH Supply -- Fans, noise, and mounting
> 	Re: Glass Scratches
> 	Re: Chain sword leaf form
> 	Re: Glass Scratches
> 	Re: shrimp/snail experiements, tweezers, and hydra
> 	MH Lighting Question.
> 	Raleigh Aquarium Society Workshop
> 	Re: An Algae Experiment
> 	Re: driftwood maintenance?and fish disease question
>
> See the end of the digest for information on
> unsubscribing from the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve
> back issues.

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:42:54 -0800
> From: "Robert H" <robertph3 at attbi_com>
> Subject: Re: Chain sword leaf form
>
> >>Here are leaf scans of two tenellus, bolivianus
> and quadricostatus -
> http://nfrank.home.mindspring.com/combo.jpg<<
>
> Cool pics Neil.Great idea. Have you ever seen E
> latifolius? (correct
> spelling this time) Is this another name for
> bolivianus? They also call it E
> xingu. I know Tom Barr has told me he has grown
> latifolius before.   Here is
> a picture of it from Oriental Aquariums catalog,
> along with their tenellus
> and quadricostatus. I wish I knew where Deleware
> Aquatics is getting their
> Micro tenellus from...if thats what it is.
> http://www.aquabotanic.com/pigmychains.htm
>
> Robert Paul Hudson
> http://www.aquabotanic.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:05:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: john wheeler <jcwheel76 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: tennellus
>
> Hey Gang,
>
> This is a bit confusing and it took me a while to
> come
> to grips with chain swords as well. Methinks the
> taxonomy is *far* from complete with these little
> beasts. Echinodorus tennellus obviously has many
> varieties...Which one are you being sold? Who knows?
> I'll never buy emerse grown chain swords again. They
> all look very similar, and there is no reliable way,
> unless you are a botanist, to tell them apart.
> Obviously, this needs more study....
>

> <<But, the big question is how do we get our
> Tenellus
> to look like the beautiful low growing plants we see
> in the Amano Books. To say that the leaves grow to 8
> inches in length doesnt seem to jive with the
> pictures in those books. So will the real low
> growing
> Tenellus please stand up.>>
>
> According to Baensch vol. 3, the variety of which
> you
> speak of is E. tennellus var. tennellus. It's the
> one
> [...]
=== message truncated ===