Strange shell dwellers in pant tank

Hi There

I have been a member of this group off and on for a couple of years but
I mostly lurk. The question I am going to ask I have asked on other fish
lists but have never received an answer. Perhaps some of the gurus here
could help.

I have these tiny 2 millimetre creatures in my tank. They have a hard
outer shell that looks like a sea shell. They move very slowly and seem
to eat algae. I have had them in my 13 gallon planted for about 6 months
and they have never eaten any of my plants. They eat algae even off the
leaves but I have no idea what they are. From the under side it looks
like a big snail foot but their shell looks nothing like a snail. They
stay out all day and night and the shell is so hard that I can't even
crush the shell. The biggest they get is about 2 - 4 millimetres in
size.

Does anyone have an idea what these things are?

TIA
Paul G