Re: Glass Scratches

John T. Fitch wrote:

 <JTFitch at SpamCop_net>
> Subject: Glass Scratches
>
> At some time within the past year, I managed to scratch the inside of
> my
> glass aquarium. At night, the scratches were sparkling bright.  I
> searched
> the archives for a possible solution, but found either (a) people
> with the
> same problem, or (b) suggestions for acrylic tanks.  There was one
> suggestion, involving fine grit and oil (didn't like the idea of oil
> in the
> tank) and another for a $3000 machine (which wouldn't fit in the tank
> anyway).  Nothing really helpful.
>
> So, I was pretty much on my own. I've posted a web page on what I
> tried and
> how it worked out. YMMV.
>
> http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html
 You've got essentially the same process for polishing ( I don't mean
using Pledge) furniture finishes.  It's called "rubbing out the finish"
or "finishing the finish."  You use progressively finer abrasives (400
and higher silicon-carbide wet/dry sandpaper works well) and a liquid
medium, which can be water, paint thinner, wax.  On a fish tank, water
is best as you have you pointed out.  Pumice powder also works well for
the earlier stages.  The finest polishing uses special suspended
particles (like Blue Coral car polish) or special fabrics.  You can
start ant any coarseness and work your way up to whatever finess erases
all visible marks.   The finest I  have heard approxiamtes the
abrasiveness of a finger tip.  It takes a lot of rubbing to polish to
that finely.  It has been said the goal in good polishing is to reach
the point where you can see yourself in the surface and you look beat
to heck.

I commend you on your hard work.

Scott H.