Chain sword leaf form

Paul K wrote:

<< If the leaves are that long, they may not be the true pigmey chain sword,
 E. tenellus.  They are probably E. bolivianus or E. quadricostatus.  E.
 tenellus comes in two varieties, a light green wider-leaved variety and a
 dark green narrow-leaved variety. >>

E. bolivianus and quadricostatus are also said to produce wider leaves with
more petiole, i.e., shorter, wider leaf blades when grown under short day
illumination as many of us do. IOW if the night length exceeds say, 13 hours;
the leaves will look different according to the literature.

What I don't know is if this is true for submerged growth. I know it plays
out as described above for emerged conditions, since I am witness to it even
now. These two types and other "chain swords" available commercially may also
be crosses or hybrids -- confusing matters even further. Thus, when one
orders some "Chain Sword" or E. tennelus from a vendor with the idea of using
it in the front of the tank as a carpet type plant; there's no telling just
what the eventual result might be.

Still, a very nice lawn type plant for larger tanks and really one of the few
available. I just wish the leaf length were a little more predictable for
purposes of planning ahead.

Bob Olesen