Clown Loaches and Snails

>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:26:35 +0100
>From: <Ian at mailbox25_freeserve.co.uk>
>Subject: Clown Loach & Snail Shells
>
>Hi,
>
>Does anybody know if Clown Loach crunch up snail shells to get at the
>snails,
>or just suck them out of their shells?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ian.

They must eat the whole shell. I put 2 in a 29 gallon that was absolutely
overrun with MTS. As of this morning there were 2 snails on the glass, it
looks like they are 99% gone, and I don't see any empty shells.

And they are not in the substrate, as I use sand. Clown Loachs are great
if you want to get rid of snails, although I have never actually seen them
eat one. But the snails disappear form every tank I put the Clown Loaches
in.

BTW-got 8 new leaves on my Madegascar Lace Plant. It sat and puted after I
got it for about 4 months (boy do they hate to be moved). Then it shed all
of its leaves, I thought I had lost it. Now it's sending up almost a leaf
a day, 3 days ago it sent up 2 at the same time. I'm using Flourite and
laterite under sand. This is the first time I've ever had one grow for me.

       Gerry Skau

       He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
       -Oscar Wilde