Re: CO2 cylinder question

Alright, so my concern over the grade of gas was naive, I'll admit that,
but my concern was always with regard to the welfare of the equipment not
the tank or its inhabitants -- give me a little bit of credit.  I know I
deserve a slap upside the head for using yeast for 2 yrs even after I knew
better, so I suppose I'm due some ribbing.

Anyway, live and learn.  I didn't realize that the various grades of CO2
gas were so similar and that regulator damage due to a contaminated tank is
about as likely as me winning a $100 million dollar lottery -- of course,
if I end up with one or the other, it'll be the busted regulator.  I spoke
to a guy at a place that refills fire extinguishers yesterday afternoon and
he pretty much told me the same thing you guys did.

FWIW, I have discovered that the main physical difference between some
medical "alphabet" cylinders and "pound" types is that that the "E" and
smaller cylinders use a pin-indexed yoke connection (CGA 940) rather than
the threaded nut and nipple connection (CGA 320).  Medical tanks larger
than E use CGA 320 connections.  E-cylinders are the narrow, 26" tall tanks
that are generally used on breathing carts.

During my search, I also found a nice overview of CO2 characteristics which
some of you may find interesting if not particularly useful:
http://www.concoa.com/frames/technical/gases/carbon.htm
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee