Re: BIG tank heating cables

So much nonsense is being bandied about on this topic I was gonna pass, but
now I gotta write.

The original request was for something cheap (presumably to buy and
run).   The laws of physics will give you the same amount of heat for a
given amount of electricity regardless of Jaeger heater, cables, bricks,
reptile heaters, fireplug or whatever type of heater you choose.   So
forget operating costs being different by type of heater.  You can save on
operating costs by insulating the surfaces that you don't look thru.  The
2" foam insulation sold by building stores is quite cheap.

The next consideration in my mind should be reliability.  A submersible
Jaeger 300w or two should be fine for the job.  And cheap enough.  Go for it.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco       gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!