Open-celled foam/sponge

Like many of you, I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive alternatives to
the materials and tools we use.  One of the few things that I haven't been
able to locate is a good source for the type of open-celled foam used for
coarse mechanical filtration in Eheim "classic" and other cannister filters
-- the stout, blue stuff.  Something suitable for fine mech filtration
would be peachy, too.  Has anyone located a good source for such material?
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee