SAE RIP

I had (before Xmas) a nice collection of 10 SAEs (not record size,
3-4").  I left for an 8 day vacation (no food) and on returning found that
the fish were distressed.   Originally I thought it might have been a
riccia overgrowth of the surface and removed over half a pound of
riccia.   Since the distress continued, I changed 70% of the
water.  Nothing helped, the distress continued and the fish started
dying.  I have lost for sure 6/10 fish.  Likely more.   The plants in the
tank look great, the barbs look great, the corys look great, the otos look
fair, the SAEs are tough to find.  My partner says she thinks she saw a
half size SAE, indicating a spawning, which is what I was after.   Are SAEs
semilparous?   Any other ideas?

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco       gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!