Mounting fans on top of hood

I have an Icecap variable speed fan mounted in the enclosed hood containing
my metal halide fixture.  It  sucks the hot air from inside the hood and
blows it out the top.  Even in the summer, it works beautifully.  Being
variable speed, it runs very slow at night when the light is off so it is
even more quiet when we are trying to sleep :)  My stand is quite tall so
you can't see the fan unless you are on the stairs looking down but I've
seen other hoods with it in the top and it looked/worked fine.

Since no stand or hood  is airtight (my stand/hood is one giant piece of
furniture) it pulls air in from everywhere there is a hole/gap.

Daph

multipart/mixed
  application/ms-tnef
---