advice on new tank

Hello all,
      I'm thinking of buying a new aquarium.  I currently have a 29
gallon tank.  I've been looking at a 38 gallon tank, which is 6 inches
longer than my current 29.
     I've also been looking at a 46 gallon "extra high" tank, which is
the same length as the 38 gallon, but a good bit taller.
     the 38 gallon is $89, and the 46 is $99.  I have several questions.
 Would the extra height on the 46 gallon require significantly more
lighting for plants?  it's about a 4-6 inch difference in height.  And
the 46 gallon tank wouldn't afford me any real increase in possible
bioload, since the surface area is the same, right?
     The $10 difference in price is not much.  So, I'm just trying to
figure out if the taller tank would cost me more because of lighting.  I
am on a tight budget.  I look for your opinions.  Is the 46 gallon
worth the extra weight, lighting, etc.  I'm slightly leaning towards the
38.
      Oh yes, and how many bags of flourite would ya'll recommend
for a 36 inch by 12 inch tank?
-Chrys

"and i try to laugh at whatever life brings
cuz when i look down i just miss all the good stuff
when i look up i just trip over things" ~ Ani DiFranco