Fans

> There are now ultra quiet fans available for computers. You would
> need a DC source for them, but I don't know if this option has been
> explored for planted tanks before.

You can get quiet, inexpensive AC "muffin" fans from Radio Shack!  When
the fan in my CustomSealife fixture started making noise almost 2 years
ago I tried one for a bit, but eventually wound up just disconnecting
it.  The intake and exhaust ports in the fixture provide enough
ventillation that I've experienced no heat gain or related bulb/balast
degradation.  DC fans run much quieter, but require a transformer to
convert AC to DC power.

Michael Rubin ~ San Francisco
Ҷ2)Ehztk*Zjeƭ