Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1527

In a message dated 1/10/02 12:00:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<<  Re: Algae problem, please advise (2nd attempt) "pompom" algae >>
I am pretty sure the algae you are describing is a red algae. I know it's not
red to look at but as with many algae the real color is obscured by other
pigments. Most people describe the color as a dark greenish gray. Iron should
important to it's metabolism as well as phosphate. Not much eats it but in a
fish only tank it helps bring about conditions that keep fish healthy (so
I've been told) the way live plants do in plant tanks. Not many red algae
grow in freshwater so it is of some interest due to that. There is a red
algae that grows in freshwater that is really red but it's difficult to find
and to grow but it is pretty.

Moon