Tissue culture questions/Thai trip

A number of people have asked me about Japanese plants and obtaining seeds
and tissue cultures. specifically they are interested in the many Japanese
waterlilies, lotus and Nuphar species. Some countries such as NZ and Oz have
strict quarantine regulations which means only seeds or sterile tissue
cultures escape being fumigated with Methyl Bromide. Has anyone had
experieence with obtaining viable waterlily and nuphar seeds or culturing
these plants in a sterile medium?

BTW I made a trip to Thailand, got a great deal (barter) and had a great
time except for a recurring stomach and intestinal problem I incurred
despite drinking bottled water. Kids had no problems as they survived on a
strict softdrink and Thai junkfood diet. Saw some great fish-gouramies and
loaches and lots of plants-crypts etc (PANTPANT LUSTLUST) at the local golf
course. Also went and saw a friend's backyard operation. He raises bettas
and gouramies in a few small ponds on his family's rice farm. I even brought
some back.

Edward Venn,
SMG Holdings Co., Ltd.,
Deux Chateaux Blanc 2-303,