Not feeding fish while you are away

In a message dated 1/5/2002 4:02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, AJohn Stark <
starkj at pacbell_net> writes:

> I am a great believer in not feeding your fish every day.  I typically 4 or
> 5 days consecutively and then stop feeding for a day or two.  I have left
> my
> fish (including Discus) without food for 4 or 5 days without even a hint of
> problems.  In fact, I find that they eat better when it is irregular and
> they have to hunt down every scrap.

4 to 5 days?  you pamper your fish.  :-)  although some food labels will tell
people to feed fish 2-3 times a day, i feed mine 3-4 times a week, sometimes
less.  people forget that in nature some fish don't eat all the time, e.g.,
large s. american catfish (there was some recent book documenting this); like
snakes, they don't get prey all the time but usually eat one big meal and
then go without eating for days (or longer).  that's why your fish are so
eager to eat when there's food, they never know when the next meal is coming.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orchidspecies

multipart/alternative
  text/html