Algae Problem, please advise

Hi everyone,

Before I get into the subject, allow me to wish everybody a great year 2002.

Now, the problem:

First of all, I'm having some trouble identifying the algae in question, it looks like green fur- balls, like little cheerleader's pompons, growing on my plants, driftwood, tubing etc. What kind of algae is this?, I know it's not rare, I just don't know the name.

Then, what caused this algae in my tank?, what should I do to eradicate it or at least control it?. It is not in every plant but has taken over some Java ferns, glossostigma and also the driftwood, I need to do something before takes over the whole tank.

Here is some information about my tank:

Tank: 43 gal (tall)
Lighting: 1x96 bright kit from AH (2.23 watts per gal if my math is correct) 11 hours per day
Substrate: Flourite
Fertilizer: flourish (1ml once a week), 7 "Root Tabs plus Iron" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (this is the first month I use them)
CO2 injection system.
40% water changes weekly

Water Chemistry (according to my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits):

PH: 6.8 - 6.4 (I think is 6.8, but in the color chart the color for 6.4 is too close so I am not positive)

KH: 5 dKH (x 17.9 = 89.5 ppm KH)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Total Nitrate: 0
I also have a small bag of crushed coral/shells to raise the KH (it use to be around 2 or 3 dKH and now is 5)

I have a couple of ottos and 1 SAE but they don't seem interested in this particular kind of algae.
I also have 9 sarpae tetras, 10 small Rasboras, 1 betta and 4 cory cats.

I would appreciate If somebody could help me identifying this algae and telling me how to fight it.

Tanks,

Diego

Diego Barbosa in NY...yes stupid BinLaden, we're still here!
dbarbosa at akingump_com
Merida97 at aol_com

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.