Red algae

In a message dated 12/31/01 3:58:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Bob, when you refer to the "nasty Red Algae from hell", I assume you mean
 what is also called black beard algae. >>

Right Paul, black beard and brush too.  I think.

That "Red" name tag really can be confusing since the types I've seen in
freshwater are a blue/silverish, gray or black and none I've seen yet are
even slightly red. Apparently their salt water relatives are? Anyway, those
are the ones, Rythophyta, I believe, which I mentally classify as "bad" and
so I tend to associate "red" with the worst ones, meaning those that
personally give me the most problems.

The green haired clapophora, oedogonium and I think that spirogyra thing -
I've been able to rid myself of whatever types of green algae I've had with
the strategies mentioned here and on the crib.

At least I've pushed them so far down in size that they cannot be seen anyway.

Now, the reds tend to diminish, relegated to a few tuffs here and there that
one has to really look for - but they never seem to disappear entirely in
this tank and can spring into action if the conditions are right. With me,
it's usually when I add too much traces - iron in particular.

So it seems anyway...

Bob Olesen