RE: Bacteria in new substrate

Sorry if this is an obvious newbie question, but I am very confused here.
Whenever people have posted about using products like Cycle to quickly cycle
an aquarium, several people always leap in and make the statement that the
bacteria can't live in a bottle. But now I am reading that they can live in
old, dried mulm or old, dried sponge filters. Do the bacteria in the bottle
die from lack of air? Lack of food? And will the bacteria on a bio-wheel
also survive if it is dried out?

Thanks.

ps can anybody help me figure out how much CO2 is in my tank now that I have
added phosphate?