Starter culture and algae

In a message dated 12/31/2001 3:54:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< From what I have heard, most bacteria survive drying  indefinitely.
 Another good source of bacteria is topsoil.  Just put a half teaspoon of
 topsoil in a plastic shoebox with 1/2 inch water and a few pieces of dried
 cat or dog food.  After three days at room temperature, the period of rapid
 bacterial growth will be over and you can pour the bacterial suspension in
 the tank water to jump-start the so-called cycling process.  Mulm from an
 established tank works well, too. >>

Paul,

Are you concerned about also inoculating the tank with algae in this fashion?

I don't mean the soft innocuous, green and brown algae that almost always
make an appearance at some point. These usually show up sooner or later
anyway and can be brought under control quickly enough with the usual
strategies. No, I mean those nasty Red Algae from hell that drive many people
out of planted tanks altogether.

I assume therefore you collect this soil well away from bodies of water which
might contain this class of pestilence? Do you think their spores could be
found in common dirt?

I've finally rid the one tank of mine from any visible manifestations of this
horror but I always wonder if it's really gone. I proceed under the
assumption that it is still there even though I can spot no sign of its
presence. As much as I would like to believe it extinct I'll bet it still
exists in some form just waiting for the right conditions. I would never use
gravel from this tank to kick start another.

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach