Re:Flourite and more backgrounds

    * From: "Ben B" <benrx at naxs_net>
    * Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:36:13 -0500

I took the gravel and laterite out of my tank today and switched to
Flourite.  What a mess.  It had been there 5-6 years I'm ashamed to say. I
am convinced that there are people in one of the nine levels of hell trying
to get laterite out of their water and gravel for eternity.  Anyway, I'm
sure my plants are stunned from uprooting, sitting in a cold bucket all day,
trimming, and then being shoved back into the gravel.  I feel like any
nutrients I add to my aquarium would just go to feed algae until the plants
get back going.  On the other hand, the plants might need some nutrients to
get back going.  Any suggestions?  When should I start back adding them?

I recommend starting them off with potassium, magnesium, sulfur, Calcium,
(if it needs to be added to soft water), micronutrients, and iron.  I would
hold off on the nitrogen and phosphorus for a week or two and then add
small amounts cautiously until they are well rooted again.

Paul Krombholz, in cool central Mississippi, with the word, snow, in our
forcast for next week.