Re:Little green bugs

    * From: "Laurel A. Merrell" <merrell at u_washington.edu>
    * Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:34:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi. I noticed today that there are some TINY green "bugs" on the surface of
the water in my 50gal. They hop along the surface in a manner similar to
fleas. They are too small to describe further. What are these adorable
creatures? Also, there are some "daphnia-like" swimmers in the water, also
very small, related?
--L

If the green bugs hop, they are springtails, Order Collembola, Class
Insecta.  I have seen brownish ones and greyish ones, but not green ones.
They are quite harmless and eat surface algae, fungi, etc that grows in wet
places.

If the "daphnia-like" swimmers hop in the water, they may be Daphnia.  If
they jump really rapidly, seeming to disappear and reappear, then they are
cyclops.  If they look like little round or oval "pills" and swim steadily,
they are ostracods.

Paul Krombholz, in cool central Mississippi finally getting some winter
temperatures.