Re: KH = 1 degree

> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:21:36 -0500
> From: John Russo Jr <jr at medcomres_com>
> Subject: KH = 1 degree

> I would like the know the best way to raise the KH so I can get higher CO2
> levels without lowering the pH further.

The simplest, easiest, cheapest and best way is to add some plain old baking
soda (sodium bicarbonate).  One teaspoon (about 6 grams) of sodium
bicarbonate (NaHCO3) per 50 liters of water will increase KH by 4 degrees
and will not increase general hardness. That's about 13 gallons. Since it is
difficult to accurately measure small quantities of dry chemicals at home, a
test kit should be used to verify the actual KH that is achieved.  Adda
littel at a atime until you acheive the KH you desire.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for aquatic gardeners by aquatic gardeners
    Major updates in July '01! On-line book, articles and tech briefs
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/