Re: Dutch vs Nature aquariums

> Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:13:19 -0800 (PST)
> From: john wheeler <jcwheel76 at yahoo_com>
>
> According to Amano, there isn't really a *line* per
> se, but more of a distinction between different ways
> of thinking about "gardening" or "layout". I'll refer
> to Amano a great deal in this post, because I believe
> when we speak of a "nature aquarium" it is Amano's
> pioneering efforts, and the subsequent genre based on
> his efforts which we speak of.

I've read Amano's three books but I didn't get to meet him at the conference
(Drat!). But I think I see a third distinction.

I agree that Dutch tanks are more in the style of a flower garden. Neat,
orderly, many rules.

From what I read of Amano's style, he is more or less "painting a picture of
nature" with his tanks - layout, rocks, plants, etc recreate a scene he saw
in nature. A mountain scene, a field of grass, etc.

What about a third style - what you might see in a river or lake?  When I
aquascape, I'm not trying to be an artist and I'm not trying to be a
gardener. I try to arrange things so that the aquarium looks like a slice of
life. I may use artist's and gardener's "tricks" to please the eye and make
my slice of life pleasent to look at. But all I want is a little piece of
Sumatra in my living room.  And I don't even care if he plants are
appropriate for the fish (a biotope). A little slice of imaginary tropical
paradise is my goal.

I save my "make a realistic scene" energy for my model trains!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for aquatic gardeners by aquatic gardeners
    Major updates in July '01! On-line book, articles and tech briefs
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/