Re: It's Alive!!!

>Y'all aren't going to believe it;  one of the driftwood pieces I have is
>growing what appears to be small roots!  This thing's been in one tank or
>another for over two years and has never showed behavior other than
>inanimate deadness before this.  I tried an experiment last week using
>triple superphosphate (kids, don't try this at home) that made both plants
>and algae go nuts with rampant growth.  Could my experiment have stimulated
>dormant cells in the wood (I believe it's old root mass from a
>hardwood)?  Should I be worried about anything other than waking up one
>morning to find an oak tree growing out of my tank?

Well, I know of at least one hardwood that you need to watch out for: black
walnuts. The black walnut leaches something into the ground through it's
roots to inhibit growth of nearby plants, and I first hand expierience with
it's effectiveness (lots of them around here). I wouldn't be surprised if
there are other plants that do the same thing so this is something you
might want to pay attention too. Otherwise I think your rooting driftwood
is pretty neat! Kinda reminds me of brine shrimp eggs and their "shelf
life" of millenia.

     -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator