Re: Ameca Splendens

> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:52:36 -0800
> From: Ed Dumas <a4a48835 at telus_net>
> Subject: Ameca Splendens

snip

> I have been battling a hair algae problem that is quickly turning into a
> source of delight. Thanks to Tom I have taken steps to seriously curtail
> it's growth, and it seems to be working very well. I have also purchased
> 8 Ameca Splendens (Butterfly Goodeid - sp?) because I had heard from
> this forum that they are impressive with hair algae. The store that I
> purchased them from had no knowledge of this, even they are one of the
> best stores around here.
>
> Well, I have to tell you all that the Ameca Splendens are amazing to
> watch. If you have hair algae in your planted tank, you simply MUST
> order some of them. They continually graze, and have a huge appetite for
> such a small fish. They rip off pieces of hair algae up to about 6" long
> and slurp it up like spaghetti. They go after it like my kids go after
> candy in the local corner store!
>
> So the question is, when they have thoroughly devoured every bit of
> algae in my tank, which I estimate to be about one week at the current
> rate, will they eat algae tabs as a substitute, or will they be happy
> without?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed Dumas
> from Rainy Maple Ridge, B.C.

Hi Ed,

    I too had great luck with Ameca splendens attacking hair algae with a
vengence. But a couple of questions and a warning: How big are they, and are
they housed with any other fish? As mine got older and larger, they got
extremely aggressive, taking chunks out of much larger and faster moving (I
thought!) fish like rainbows. And when the hair algae dissappeared, they
started in on some of the softer plants in the tank, particularily
Heteranthera zosterifolia and Aponogeton ulvaceous. I then had the
unenviable task of trying to capture them without decimating a 100 gallon
tank. (Hint: wait until the middle of the night, and stalk them down with a
net and flashlight)

    I know of other people who have had no problems with these guys, but
others still who have had them literally kill everything from corys to
tetras.

    You can't help but be a little nervous of a livebearer born well over
half and inch long with an umbilical cord.... <g>

Ron Barter
Perth, Ontario