pruning anubias

In the past, I have lost a number of Anubias barteri when the rhizome
started to rot after I divided it with a very sharp blade. Now I need to cut
a very large Anubias with a rhizome over 1" think, and I am afraid that the
rot will destroy the plant(s) as well.

What do you feel is the best way to cut it? With a razor blade or a box
cutter? And how do you treat the cut portion to prevent the rot? The
archives refer to a beeswax treatment. Has anyone else used anything else?

Michael Eckardt