Re: PH Problems?

Gregory Gooden wrote:
"Actually, sorry I wasn't clear about that.. It used to have 4 40watt tubes
(standard flourescents), but I REPLACED those with the new AH Supply stuff
(making for an OLD wattage of 160 and a NEW wattage of 292). "

Ahh... much clearer. =)

"> Notice how low your kH is. Did you know that the CarboPlus
> lowers kH? What's

I did NOT know that actually!"

Yup. The plus part in the CarboPlus name is for its ability to lower kH.

"So if I need to raise KH, is that the right thing to use, or is there
something better? (perhaps just occassional TAPWATER use for a water
change?). "

I use Baking Soda in my tank because of my tapwater's almost RO-like quality.
If I don't add baking soda w/ every water change then I immediately see
changes in the leaves of my Ammannia. It starts to bend in weird directions
and if left that way the leaves will start to curl from the edges. My H.
polysperma will also start to turn white at the top of the plant and start to
develop curly leaves.

"Is 2.336 watts per gallon "okay"? "

It's ok if your lighting, CO2 and nutrients are balanced. Heh, you could have
5 watts/gallon and it would be ok if your plants were growing well and you
didn't have any algae problems.

"I've got: TMGFlourishFlourish IronFlourish PotassiumI suspect I should use
EITHER TMG or Flourish, but either way dose the IRON and Potassium, no?
"

You're right. Be careful w/ dosing on the Fe. Hair algae blooms have resulted
from too much Fe in the water column. I dose Fe fairly heavily in my tank
(about .25 ml each day) but that's because my plants tell me they need it. My
H. difformis will start to yellow if Fe is not added.

"Ahh, so use tapwater instead to keep KH high (this will increase hardness &
phospate too), right? "

Ummm... talk to someone like Tom Barr who has very hard water, phosphates in
his tapwater and has a virtually algae free system. I don't have any
experience w/ hard water so hopefully someone will chime in who does.

"About 45 days.. It's full of efisubstrat ONLY. I generally mess with each
filter every 60 days (but never at the same time). The Fluval404 gets clogged
a lot tho, but I don't "change it out" when that happens.. I just rinse the
pads. "

The reason I asked you how long its been since you did maintenance is because
I've gotten BGA in the past when I neglected to do maintenance on my filters.
Once I cleaned out my filter and used Maracyn to kill off the BGA I never had
that plague again.
Don
My webpage:
http://members.aol.com/d0nxd0n/index.html