New tank questions

I have a new 66 gallon in the basement waiting for it's stand. My father in
law is making it for me (and a lid too). It's for my discus and I plan to
plant it up. I have a bad track record with plants so I welcome any advice.

The lighting will be built into the lid. I believe around 200 watts is what
is needed for a 66 gallon tank (3 watts per gallon?). How much leeway does a
person have with this? 200 watts would require 5 tubes and I don't know if
there'll be enough room.

I will put down a layer of laterite (how deep? mix with peat?), then either
sand or 3mm white gravel. (I have the gravel, but heard that sand is easier
to keep clean).

I'm going to set the tank up and plant it and put in the cardinals only
(there are seven) and leave it for the plants to establish before
introducing discus. I plan to keep the temperature at 85F and use DIY CO2
bottles

Filtration will be aquaclears. A 300 and a mini.

I plan to keep the easiest of plants (java fern, jungle val, hygro,
cryptocorne) but if I do get some success (dare I hope?) I will probably try
some other types.

Please let me know what you think, and whether this setup sounds like it
will be a success/ what changes you would make. I have four 4 inch discus,
some algae shrimp and a clown loach as well as the cardinals.
Thanks
Jen