Re: ph-KH-CO2

> Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:01:53 -0800
> From: "Dixon, Steven T. (BEn)" <stdixon at ben_bechtel.com>
>
> "Philippe wrote:
> > Where does the 3ppm concentration of CO2 in the bucket come from?
>
> >From the air."
>
> George will be quick to point out that this is a "myth."  While we do
often
> measure 2 - 3 ppm CO2 in our non-CO2 supplemented tank water, a
significant
> portion comes from organic processes occurring in the tank which produce a
> small amount of CO2.  I forget how much George said actually comes from
the
> air, but I think it was something like half the amount we typically
measure.

If I remember right, the theoretical equilibrium value of CO2 in water at a
specifc temperature, sea level and 350 ppm in the air is 0.498 mg/l. This
varies with the three conditions, so your results WILL vary.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for aquatic gardeners by aquatic gardeners
    Major updates in July '01! On-line book, articles and tech briefs
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/