Native Plants in disguise

In a message dated 12/11/2001 9:56:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<< I gathered other species including ludwigia.  Some of
 these are probably terrestrial plants, but I figure it
 wouldn't hurt to throw them underwater and see what
 happens, since I couldn't identify them. >>

In the wild, that's where you'll find most Ludwigia, Bacopa and "pennywort"
-- as dense, small-leaved, ground hugging terrestrials near, but not in
water. I too walked all over them as a kid - not realizing what they were -
while at the very same time shelling out hard-earned paper route money for
them at the LFS.

Put them in a tank and they survive just fine, growing larger, much more
attractive leaves.

I'm still hoping to stumble across Ludwigia arcuata, Proserpinaca and Lobelia
cardinalis in the wild. I hear they're around...

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach