Re: comments on CO2 and buffers

> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: Paul Sear's comments on CO2, buffers, & concentrations
>
> Is there any way, in a practical sense, that CO2 could be brought up as
> high as 1,500 ppm?

	That number was a rough guess for the amount of CO2 in a solution
in equilibrium with 1 atmosphere pressure of CO2.  It would be very easy
to get it - just leave the water in 100% CO2 for long enough.  It would
be faster if it were bubbled through the water.  The water could not
be exposed to air anywhere else.

>  But I'm just
> guessing.  My guesses are based on the observations that getting levels
> up to 20-30 ppm in a planted tank requires some effort and cost -- not
> too much churning, not too high a temp, keep a steady supply of CO2 on
> hand.

	Over most of the surface area, the CO2 is leaving.

> Of course, if the tank is sealed well enough and enough CO2 is added to
> bring the tank to more than negligible positive internal pressure.  The
> atmosphere wouldn't pick up much CO2--but even then, to get 1,500 ppm,
> you'd have to really pump in the CO2, wouldn't you?

	Just _completely_ cover the water with CO2, and you'll get there.
This obviously will not be compatible with any fish, etc., in the aquarium!

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada