Re: Gloss sod

> I am curious about the method Tom B. discusses in controlling Glosso.  I have
> tried the trimming technique a few times and was unhappy with the results; it
> always resulted in short leafless stems that didn't really regrow well.

Ask Steve Dixon about that one:-) Yucky poo. I actually tried both
methods(sod and trimming) and the Claus method(replanting method of his) and
the Amano "lots of regular pruning work" method.
I have had decent results with the trimming method actually. It takes about
the same time to re-invade and look good again. The sod method looks
better(the plants look fresher, leaves are larger, greener and are lower to
the substrate).

  The
> method that worked for me was to pull up the whole thing and tease out runners
> to re-populate the tank; this is basically starting over.

Try the Claus method then. Plant 2-4 leaves per planting about 1 inch apart
the desired area to fill in. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get looking nice.

> Under good
> conditions (like you said, this is a heavy feeder), Glosso would be thick
> again in no time.

About 2-3 weeks it'll fill in nice.

> What is the cut 2-3 inches of sod technique you mention?  Do you mean, pull
> out most but not all and let the remaining re-invade the open space?

I take a plastic paint scraper(2 inch) and cut a 2 inch square out. I shake
off the gravel and take the sod down to the LFS for sale. I have no bare
stems, yellow light limited undergrowth if I let it pile up too much(this is
where folks screw up with gloss, do not let it start to pile up!). If you
stop before it's gotten to 2-3 layers deep, that's about the right time to
get pruning. Most folks wait too long(3-20 layers deep!).
The trimmed areas that were tested came back pretty good abnd made a very
tight mat and somewhat smaller leaves than the fresh runners in the open
area. The plant is the same, substrate, light, tank, critters etc. I just
did different pruning techniques in different areas to assess the different
methods. I think the best looking clear healthy winning is the sod method.
I'd rather have a bare spot that has healthy runners going into it than a
gangly leafless semi yellow understory patch(the trim method) that serves no
useful purpose but to build detritus and rot.
Just MY opinion.
Regards,
Tom Barr