Proper posts.....

At 12:08 PM 12/4/01 -0500, Tara wrote:
>.I *want* to see "My such-and-such needle valve blew up!" "Mine did too!". I
>do NOT want to see people not posting advice because they are afraid it
>will land them in court.

Tara, I can even give you a testimonial.   Back in the bad old days, I did
not understand CO2 dumping at all (or valves for that matter either).  It
seems counterintuitive that a regulator has a higher output pressure the
lower the input pressure.   But that is true.  And it seems
counterintuitive that the flow thru a valve can be independent of the
pressure drop across the valve, but that can be true too, depending on
circumstances.   As I learned about these things from negative user
experience with my system that I heard about thru the list, I was able to
learn more about regulators and valves, and came to the conclusion that a
needle valve SHOULD be used whenever the aquarium contains fish (plant only
tanks don't need one).  Although only a handful of users out of many
hundred of customers had serious problems by not having a valve, the
negative feedback on the list formed a valuable educational experience for
one and all, especially me.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco       gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!