Re: Re: PO4; organic vs inorganic

At 23.30 02/12/2001, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: PO4; organic vs inorganic
>From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
>Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:15:01 -0800
>
>I think it's not too much of an issue when you add the PO4. As far as
>dosing, 2-3 times a week is fine if you have low PO4 or high PO4 usage
>rates. If you have been low on PO4 for sometime and add .3ppm it will be
>gone very quickly(less than a day).
>Perhaps the best PO4 source is KH2PO4 since it also supplies the K and is
>cheap. This is the standard I use for this.

ok! I've started using KH2PO4 but I'm adding it at 0.05ppm daily.  Consider
that I have 2watts/liter. And the tank is very tiny, only 20L.
Do you prefer dosing 2-3 times a week because you give a burst and then PO4
is gone??
In very well enlighted tank like mine, what is best?

>As far as an amount each time? Well that would depend on your target level.
>Some want to try to stay at .2ppm (I don't think that's the best approach)

why not? for the same reason of before? you don't want to keep a constan
level of PO4 available in water column?

>I see little gain to go beyond 1.2ppm or so. I also do not see algae
>beyond 1.6ppm or so.But this addition can go sour rather fast if your CO2
>is poor or if you have high NO3's etc.

why high NO3?? which is the relationship??

>You can test your tank directly by adding tiny amounts and test(within 10-20
>minutes).

okidoki... no prob for that! but it's best to add PO4 during night? or
during light period?

>  But it might......I'll
>stick with adding inorganic to keep things simple.
I agree completely here! :-))

ciao,
Luca