Re: Endcaps Waterproof?

Rich Patton asked about AH Supply:

> are the endcaps waterproof?

No, but it doesn't matter if you have a little ventilation. I recently
removed the plexiglas lens on my light hood and now the lamps are exposed to
the water. They are about 5" above the water surface. The heat of the lamp
immediately dries them out from the occassional splash. It the socket itself
ever got soaked I suppose it would trip the GFI outlet, but that's no big
deal either. The downside is that mineral deposits build up on the lamps and
reflectors, rather than the lens cover, and will be a little harder to
clean. The upside is that they run cooler and get more light in the tank.

Tom