Re: criticism (Lindstrand)

>>My comments on Mr. Lindstrand's tank:
http://user.tninet.se/~vet933z/piclinks.htm
1. The first thing I noticed about the tank was the
symmetric arrangement.  Driftwood pieces on both ends,
and then an arrangement in the middle.  In general,
IMO, it is better to avoid symmetric placement of
objects.  The hydrocotoyle in the front center only
serves to accentuate the symmetric placement.  If it
were my tank, I would move the center driftwood a bit
to the right or left, and I would move the sword plant
(the largest one) behind the "leg" of the centerpiece
driftwood.<<

I didnt think the wood was distracting, but the Hydrocotoyle in front of it
is. The Hydrct. looks to much like a bunch, too thick and too bunched
together and the height of it detracts the view too much from the wood and
the area behind it cutting back on the sense of depth. This could be solved
by spreading out the bunch more and varying its height: lay it more
horizontal than verticle, or simply replace it with much lower plants to
really hilight the wood making it the prime focus from that viewing angle.

I think he did a good job on the left side of the tank creating a diaganol
line, and the wood looks nice with the Riccia. The wood simply needs to
blend in more with the foreground and could be accented with something more
than just Riccia. Java fern or Anubias would fill it in and provide a nice
contrast. Have Anubias growing on the wood, and on the substrate around it
and below it, sloping down toward the foreground with a very low foreground
plant in front of the Anubias. Take full advantage of the depth between the
wood and the front glass.  I agree the foreground looks too sparse, but I
presume it is because the tank is newly set up  and needs to grow in. I
thought I saw tenellus or dwarf sag which could grow in nicely eventually
with a lot of work and replanting, (cutting off runner plants and replanting
close together to create a thicker lawn)  I dont think red stem plants have
to be planted in thick stands. It can be scattered sparsley if strategically
placed. It really depends on how it ties in with everything else.

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com